Tuesday, July 19, 2011

FW: blog

A ride in NYC on my bike is one of the best things I do for myself…seeing the sites, praying for people…My new volunteer Steve from England comes in for two weeks..he tells me they have a bike exchange program there..amazing…very cool he says…biking is actually  part of affordable housing…ok heres why..what takes more land to park …a bike or a car…

Think of all the land that cars take away from parks..from homes, from solar gardens and community gardens or playgrounds…cars dictate our space, life, money transport and more…two interesting people…I stopped in Chinatown on the border of mulberry last nite..one dollar water.. and the rains started to poor. Bobby from China who owned the store, says sit sit here…he let me relax in what his world..a small business…I wondered where he lived in Chinatown..what accomodations, if he owned….Then, off to get a smoothie at Liquiteria..can you believe it…I sit and a gentlemen in finance is reading a book in Russian. The lower East side has always been blessed to have Slavic and Eastern bloc representation..its about WWII he tells me, written by a Russian seargeant in the trenches.. he tells me the US came in late to the war and looked like saviors..after the war was being won, up until the last round of the fight.. he thinks the War machine of America is a big part of the economy..he tells me…the country will go to war again he says, in Libya, Pakistan, all over…

I tell him I think we can not depend upon war for success…solar panels, blue jean insulation, sip panels and more….Wow…

Where do we live, ..how do we live..how do we surive and move the economy..when do we manufacture things here again..and build simple decent homes for all… a bike ride, can have profound implications n one line…join me …May God bless you..America and the world…pray for our work and donate, please..thank you!

 

Jim Killoran

Executive Director

Habitat for Humanity of Westchester

524 Main Street

New Rochelle, NY

Jim@habitatwc.org

Office: 914-636-8335x101

 

 

 

No comments: