Thursday, October 24, 2013

FW: blog

The hurricane was moving…three four days before..we didn’t know if it would hit…the big one..might hit…like watching Katrina hit, only in our backyard, we moved and watched..I prepared our headquarters for sleepovers that nite..cots, food, and more..flashlights..generators, pumps…and then it came…

We were called to go help..my high school buddy, called, cfo of Sony Music, killer do you have generators, pumps, can you bring them….of course..after having delivered to Chappaqua, then cutting trees in Mt Vernon, Yonkers..we worked, we helped, we continued…..over the Whitestone bridge..back to the Rockaways where six weeks before had been for my friends daugthers wedding…only three times in my life had I been to the famous rockaways..his wedding, his daughters, and for us to play hoops together…

Now we were fighting a hurricanes wrath…ambulances stuck on end of road…we worked to get water out…then going from belle harbor to breezy, I went to see..the devestation…couldn’t believe it..the country of breezy I call it…a world, another world, a devastated world….thats all I knew, ..two people brother and sister wandering aimlessly,..can you get us to our home…can you help….we have to go to a shelter, but we have to get clothes if any….what aworld…three water, with my higher pickup truck..a war zone..army tents, police, fire depts…the first day….more tomorrow to follow ..of Sandys wrath and Habitat of Westchesters journey of relief…to this day..one year later….

 

Jim Killoran, Executive Director

Habitat for Humanity of Westchester

524 Main Street, New Rochelle NY 10801

(914) 403-4821

 

"Like Us" on Habitat for Humanity of Westchester Facebook!

 

 

No comments: